27 August 2008

The Up Side

It has been brought to my attention that I have been giving Boss Lady something of a short shrift lately. I have been dwelling overly much on her imperfections. And, while she may not be perfect (let me assure you of this), there are some positives to being forced to exist as her companion.

For one thing, my food ration has been consistently increased of late. She takes serious this weight business, at least when it comes to me. I won’t speak to her weight issues, I’m told it isn’t polite to mention a lady’s weight. Now, if someone could just explain to me how Boss Lady qualifies as a lady, we’ll all be happy. Regarding my weight issue, I need more. Weight that is. I’m too thin. Skin and bones, as it were. Ribby by some accounts. It’s all this exercise. Trims the fat right off. You hear that Boss Lady? I’m always ready to eat more food, though, so I most enjoy larger suppers. Rumor has it, I might even be getting spoonfuls of peanut butter more often. See? This is a positive. I’m dwelling on a positive here. Please, do take note.

For another thing, when she isn’t dragging me along behind her bike, Boss Lady takes me for great hikes. Almost every day off, weather permitting, (Which is why I continue to lobby for a career change that involves more time for hikes and less time for me home alone.) I enjoy a nice long hike. We have nice hiking trails round here you know. I’ve mentioned Shrewsbury and Pittsford, both of which are nice but are a bit of a drive. They are less than ideal for those hikes when you want to get the most trail time for the least travel time. It’s no good if you only have 2 hours to work with and waste 1 hour just getting there and back. For those good trail to travel ratios, we have Pine Hill Park. Pine Hill Park is a fabulous little park smack dab in the middle of the city of Rutland. Hard to believe, but there it is. If you don’t mind dodging bikes, there are plenty of trails to hike. New ones appear regularly (almost every summer), they are mostly well marked (when stupid people aren’t stealing the signs), and they are easily adapted for long or short hikes. Today we hiked for 2 hours, other times we’ve been known to make a 45 minute loop and be done. The icing on the cake, though, is the pond. There’s a pond for a dog’s swimming enjoyment. There’s even a trail that goes part way around the pond. All in all, it’s not a bad set up.

No matter where we’re hiking, though, Boss Lady drags along that blasted camera of hers and manages to snap at least a few embarrassing pictures of me. Today was no exception.

Here I am impersonating a bear.



Did I mention the view from Pine Hill Park? Not bad at all.





While investigating one of the new trails, we encountered this nifty uprooted tree.




Of course I had to investigate it. Of course she had to take a picture.




The Great Hero (me) does battle with A Stick.


No comments: